Wednesday, December 5, 2012

First therapy appointment

While we have had Speech Therapy and Occupational Therapy to address BW's issues, we have never tried behavioral therapy. So due to escalating anger issues at school, he is seeing the school psychologist and I thought it would be good to have another professional in on the action. BW has terrible anxiety and his meds apparently don't even touch it.

Or, oh God. Maybe they do and without the meds, he's be curled up under his bed. I don't know.

I do know that when he was in kindergarten and I finally had enough of physically peeling the screaming crazy kid off of me, I snapped. I got in the car, called his pediatrician for an emergency consult, and went and pulled him out of class. Then while we are waiting for the doctor he runs and plasters himself against the wall around the corner from the office tv. I walked over and said softly, "Whatcha doing buddy?"

"Hiding from that show," he whispered.

"The Mickey Mouse Club is scary?"

"Yes, it's very scary."

After I told the doctor that she pulled out her prescription pad and we were on our way. And school drop offs became much easier over the next few weeks. But when his anxiety is super high, like right now- he wants Mommy all the time.

The new therapist- I met with her first and frankly I should have known better. Boy Wonder does not do well with people who are super no-nonsense. She asked me if I had him GFCF because sooooo many of her clients had been helped by that.

I do not listen to anything about GFCF unless it is the parent of an autistic child telling me. Why? Well, that is another post. And she was having a serious medical condition treated by her naturopath, had I tried naturopathy? I told her about my friend, who in her quest to cure her child's autism, has spent upward of $50,000 on diets and DAN doctors and naturopathy. Hasn't helped a bit. Know what HAS helped? Pharmaceuticals.

And I am not saying it's all crap. LOTS of people with autism have serious gut problems, and when you take gluten and casein out and help them not be in PAIN, yeah. Their behavior is going to improve by leaps and bounds.

But BW doesn't have those problems.

Then when he goes to meet her, he tells her he's scared of growing up. He does not know what will happen and that is scary. Guess what she says?

She says, "Well, you shouldn't feel that way. Growing up is awesome!"

The playroom was a wreck that looked like it had never been vacuumed, she talks way too loud for ME to be comfortable, and then she informed me I jump in to help him regulate when he needs to be self-regualting. Well, considering the alternative is that I pay you nearly $100 an hour to watch my kid have a massive meltdown in your office, yeah, I'll choose to help out. Because I can watch him have a meltdown at home for free.

He hid in a tent and cried to go home. In his WHOLE life and the large number of therapists, teachers, and doctors he has seen- I have never seen my son react like that.

So I guess we are going to look for a new therapist.


No comments:

Post a Comment